Which is the best filter for an aquarium to choose?
Each owner of the aquarium is interested in,that his device worked stably and efficiently, and the fish lived for a long time. An important role in achieving these goals is played by good water filtration. What is the best filter for an aquarium and what rules to consider when choosing it? Let's try to understand.
Types and applications
The choice of the filter should be done taking into account wholives in an aquarium, what plants in it and how many of them. If the aquarium is large, it has many plants and animals, then the filter must be powerful, effectively removing all contamination from the water. To date, there are several types of water filtration in the aquarium:
Which is the best filter for an aquarium? Let's consider the basic features of each filtration system.
These filters are considered to be the simplest, but alsoThe most effective for maintenance of aquariums of different volume. Outwardly they resemble a simple glass consisting of a pump (motor) and absorbing sponges. The pump pumps the water in the aquarium, it passes through the sponge, which causes it to be cleaned. Such filtration is effective for removing large contaminants - undernourished food, feces of fish, remnants of dead organisms. So if you are looking for a better filter for an aquarium of a small size, give preference to mechanical models.
Thanks to chemical filters, water purificationis conducted through absorbents, most often in this capacity, aquarium coal is used. It is expedient to use ion-exchange resins, for example zeolite. Such filters are more effective and practical due to porosity of absorbent materials that absorb particles of contaminants well. Ion-exchange resins are able to cope well with harmful poisons in the form of ammonia, nitrates and nitrites, which are gradually digging in the aquarium.
The best and most reliable filtration for an aquarium- on the basis of a biological filter. This method of water purification requires the presence of a special compartment in the filter itself, which is necessary for breeding useful bacteria. For their reproduction a special substrate is used. Bacteria play an important role, since they saturate the water with useful substances and decompose harmful substances: ammonia, nitrites and nitrates - to the gaseous state. They are the most serious and dangerous enemy for aquarium inhabitants, leading to diseases and the loss of fish. If you are still in doubt, what is the best filter for the aquarium to choose, evaluate the biological options.
These filters are convenient because they can cleanwater in many ways. And even the simplest mechanical model can be used as a combined, for example, combining an absorbent sponge with aquarium charcoal. So the conclusion can be made the following. For a small aquarium, mechanical devices are the most advantageous option: cheap, but simple and easy to use.
If the aquarium is large, then you need to consultwith a specialist who will help decide which filter is best for an aquarium of 100 liters or more. Most often it is recommended to use a biofilter, which at a higher price and complexity in cleaning will be effective and durable. By the way, consider the throughput capacity of the filter. On this depends the effectiveness of his work. Depending on the location of the aquarium filters are divided into internal, external or hinged. Let's consider the features of each variety in more detail.
These varieties are attached directlyinside the aquarium and can have a variety of filtering mechanisms. These filters are the most popular, which is explained by their affordable cost, ease of operation and cleaning. On the other hand, users note that they "eat" the useful space of the aquarium, but for larger devices this is not so critical. Which internal filter is best for an aquarium? Consider the most popular models:
- Aqua Szut Super Mini. This internal filter is suitable for aquariums in 10-80 l, is characterized by high-quality cleaning and aeration of water. Among the advantages of this filter, users note the ease of maintenance, compact size, low noise, the ability to locate vertically or horizontally, a combination of mechanical and biological methods of water treatment. A well-considered aeration part of the structure contributes to the saturation of water with oxygen.
- Aquael Turbo Filter Professional. This internal filter pumps, cleans the water in the aquarium and performs its aeration. The difference from similar models is in the high-quality saturation of water with oxygen even at great depth.
- ASAP 500. Aquarium filters of this brand are characterized by high performance and functionality, as well as an original design that reduces maintenance time to a minimum. So if you are in doubt, which internal filter for the aquarium is better to choose, and are looking for a truly modern and profitable option, the ASAP 500 is worthy of your attention. Its design is a combination of an energy efficient motor with a high-quality filter sponge. The case can be easily cleaned or replaced with a new one, in addition, this filter is ideal for use in shallow water.
- ALEAS IPF-6200L. Even more effective and perfect, but expensive filter model. The increased level of cleaning is provided by two cartridges, and the model performs three functions at once: it filters the water, ensures its circulation and aeration. The biological filtration system is multilevel, and the filtering material is three-dimensional. Due to this, the larger internal surface of the aquarium is cleaned, which is kept clean much longer.
These models are considered to be among the best and most productive and will be of interest to those who are looking for information about which filter for the aquarium is better to choose.
External filtering mechanisms are mounted outsideaquarium, but inside it drop only the tube. About this variety reviews are very different. Some say that due to the large volume of filter materials, maximum water purification is provided, while others note that near the aquarium it takes a lot of space to accommodate the filter, which is also expensive. What is the best filter for an aquarium?
The best models
We offer an overview of popular models:
- Tetratec EX 400. This powerful filter is suitable for an aquarium with a volume of 10-80 liters, is distinguished by the comfort of installation and maintenance. Due to the integrated automatic start-up system during installation and cleaning, the filter does not suck up water. At power the mechanism works silently. It is equipped with five filtering mechanisms, which ensures high-quality and effective water purification. These are universal filters for aquariums. Which is better at 50l? The manufacturer offers a number of models, among which you can find the best option.
- Eheim. The products of this brand are mainly represented by canister filters that work reliably, stably and for a long time. The special design is protected from leaks, high-quality filter materials are used, due to which the water is cleaned quickly and permanently. One of the popular models is the Eheim Classic 2213, which includes sponges and gaskets, tubes and double cranes. For large aquariums, Eheim Professional 3 2073 is useful - its volume is enough for the model in 180-350 liters. Advantage - the presence of a pre-filter, which increases the service life of all fillers.
- Tetra. This brand proposes to buy a quality and reliable external filter for the aquarium. Which is better? Manufacturers offer a wide range of models that will ensure the optimal balance of water in the aquarium.
Hinged filters - a kind of compromise betweendescribed above models. Structurally, the models are pumps that themselves are located outside, but work inside. They are compact, but despite this, do not enjoy great popularity among aquarists.
Or the bottom?
Another popular type of filter -bottom. The so-called falshdno is a simple design in the form of a plastic plate with holes - it is through them that water flows. The filter itself is located at a height of 2 cm from the bottom of the aquarium, the soil is placed on the plate. Water passes through the soil, the bacteria in it contribute to biological filtration, so toxic ammonia is removed from the liquid. So there are a lot of varieties of pumps. Which filter is the best for an aquarium? Proceed from the features of the container and its contents.