How to use cutlery?
We are accustomed to thinking that we can properly hold a fork at dinner and that this is quite enough. However, each of us can get to dinner in the society of aristocrats or intellectuals, and then incomprehensible spoons and knives near each plate can cause inconvenience even to a self-confident person. How to use cutlery to follow the rules of etiquette?
The arrangement of cutlery
It is accepted to lay out cutlery in the prescribed manner. In order to do this correctly, one should know table etiquette. Instruments that are farther from the plate should be used earlier. Those that were at the very hand - at the end.
The average number of cutlery, which involves the replacement of three or four dishes, is usually the following: to the right from the far edge is a spoon for soup, then one or two knives. The one that is more - the usual table. The one that is smaller is intended for seafood.On the left there can be one or two forks. One for main courses, the second - for seafood.
Dessert spoon and fork are usually laid out behind the plate, opposite the seated. And the spoon looks to the left, and the fork - the teeth to the right.
How to use the devices: rules
In order not to think about how to properly use cutlery, it is important to strictly follow the rules. First, we will talk about what to do and what the rules of etiquette require of us.
- We take the knife in the right hand, we hold it only by the handle, the fork - in the left.
- Is there a pause during the meal? Place the instruments in a plate so that they overlap.
- If you are finished, let the waiter know. Put the knife and fork on the plate in parallel and diagonally.
- Chicken and fish are eaten with a fork, helping themselves with a knife. Although for some reason it is considered by the people that the bird should be eaten by hands.
- Take the bread by hand, then, breaking it off into pieces, put in your mouth.
What to do at the table can not
- You can not take a knife in your left hand, even if the eater is left-handed. You also can not eat with a knife.
- Meat does not need to be cut into a plate into many pieces at once. Cut one piece at a time. Putting one piece in your mouth, cut another.
- No need to lean too much over the plate, reach for the spoon. Although this rule is contrary to the laws learned from childhood.
- You can not blow on hot. This is due to the danger of hot splashes on the neighbor on the table.
Since it is not always possible to keep cutlery correctly, there are also concessions, so to speak, “privileges”. For example, you can take a fork in your right hand, unless you need a knife. A chicken can be eaten by hand if wet wipes or water with lemon for rinsing fingers are served. However, you can use your hands only when a bone remains, from which it is difficult to cut off the remains of meat.
If you are in a Chinese restaurant, you can ask the waiter to file a fork with a knife instead of chopsticks. Be sure to take advantage of this opportunity if you have chopsticks.