How to preserve corn - 4 step by step recipes
Acquaintance of man with corn took place five thousand years ago, but people began to preserve this product only in the 18th century in France. A gifted French culinary specialist, who fell in love with maize, was looking for ways to keep corn for a long time. As a result, he stopped on conservation. Almost three centuries have passed since that time, and canned corn still remains popular.
Today, canned corn is widely used in cooking. Dietary salads and hearty side dishes, flavored sauces, casseroles, pies, soups and even desserts are made from it. In some national cuisines, recipes based on canned corn are considered to be fundamental. Therefore, today's article will tell how to preserve corn at home for the winter.
Calorie canned corn
On the shelves of stores jars of canned corn first appeared in the second half of the twentieth century.Hostesses from all over the world immediately appreciated these canned goods. Dishes of canned corn regularly appeared on everyday and holiday tables in each family.
Do not cheat cereal attention and people leading the fight against obesity. All becausecalorie canned corn is 120 kcal per 100 grams.
Nutritionists recommend including the product in the diet. Exception - salads, which include other high-calorie foods.
Useful tips before cooking
The ripening of corn cobs is traditionally accompanied by the appearance on the tables of a wonderful delicacy. Frozen corn grains are excellent for cooking, and it is easy to prepare them. How to deal with canned corn? After all, I want the preservation just to be prepared, tasty and long kept. This will help the following tips.
- Choose for conservation young corn. You can prepare for the winter and the old, but it turns out solid even after prolonged heat treatment.
- Some housewives have difficulty separating the grains from the cobs.To facilitate the procedure, immerse the cob in hot water for 10 seconds and then cool it sharply under running water.
- Re-sterilization - the key to success. The duration of a single procedure does not exceed 10 minutes. This is not enough to stop the growth of spore microorganisms that are in the corn. Therefore, it is advised to repeat the process several times.
These simple tips are enough to make delicious canned corn. In winter, an open jar with delicacy will delight the family with the taste and aroma of a past summer.
The classic recipe for winter conservation
Corn salt, pickled, used for making mashed potatoes, but this herb is ideal for preservation, like boletus. For many years, culinary professionals from around the world have created many recipes for canned corn, but the basis of diversity is the classic recipe. And consider it.
- Corn - 3 ears.
- Water - 1 liter.
- Salt - 1 tablespoon.
- Sugar - 1 tablespoon.
Ingredients are based on one three-liter jar.
- First, sterilize the jar and lid.Hold the glass dish on steam, in an oven or a microwave, and boil the lid for a few minutes.
- Clean the cob and put it in a container with water. Boil 3 minutes after boiling water. Put the corn in a bowl of cold water.
- When it cools, separate the grains from the cob. Using a colander, rinse with water. Send the grain to the pan and set aside for 3 minutes on fire. Boil at a low boil.
- In the meantime, make a marinade. Put a container of water on the fire, add salt and sugar. After boiling, wait 2 minutes and remove from heat. Fill a jar with corn and cover with hot marinade.
- Place the jar in a deep container covered with a towel. Pour warm water over the shoulders of the jar and put it on the fire. When the water boils, reduce the fire a little.
- Sterilization of a jar of corn takes 3.5 hours. Watch the water level. Add boiling water at the time of volume reduction. When finished sterilizing, remove the jar and roll up the lid. Turn it upside down and wrap in a warm towel until it cools.
A cool place protected from sunlight is ideal for storing canned corn at home. If there is no such room, keep the preservation in the refrigerator.
Canned corn in the store
Eating canned corn in the winter is good for health. It can be used as an ingredient for salads, and eat with a spoon. Canned corn is sold everywhere, but the home-made product is healthier, and it’s easy to cook the cereal to match the store's taste characteristics. The main thing is to get sugar variety of corn.
- Salt - 1 tsp.
- Sugar - 2 teaspoons.
- Vinegar - 1 tablespoon.
Ingredients are based on a half-liter jar.
- Peeled cobs fold into a container and, pouring water, put on the stove. Boil in boiling water for 40 minutes, adding salt to taste.
- Drain and cool. Separate the grains, rinse if necessary in cold water. Fill the cooked jars with corn.
- There also send salt, sugar and vinegar. Pour boiling water and place in a deep container for sterilization. Pour water, put on the fire and boil for about an hour over low heat after boiling.
- After that, remove the banks and roll up the lids. Turn it over and wrap it in a blanket until it cools down.Put the preservation in a dark cool place.
Such canned corn is stored for a long time. In winter, when there are not many vitamin products in the diet, it will help in preparing delicious salads and side dishes for meat dishes.
How to preserve corn on the cob
Corn canned on the cob is a real culinary miracle that any hostess can do. Such a billet will always help out in the winter. Therefore, with the onset of the season be sure to prepare a few jars.
- Young corn - 1 kg.
- Salt - 2 tablespoons.
- Sugar - 2 tablespoons.
- Vinegar - 6 tablespoons.
- Carnation - 6 pcs.
- Bay leaf and peppercorns - to taste.
- Purified and washed corn fold in a small saucepan, cover with water and boil for 5 minutes.
- Prepare 3 half-liter jars. In each container, put on the leaf of laurel, add a few peas of pepper.
- Fill the jars with corn. In each container, add 2 tablespoons of vinegar and pour marinade. To make it, pour water into a saucepan, add salt and sugar, boil.
- Sterilize the preservation for half an hour. After that, roll up each jar, put it on the floor upside down, cover with a blanket and wait for it to cool. After that send to storage location.
Corn prepared according to this recipe will serve as a beautiful and tasty side dish. To do this, cut the cobs into small rings and place around the main dish. If you separate the grain, you get the basis for a salad with crab sticks.
Sweet canned corn without sterilization
The following recipe will appeal to busy housewives who, for certain reasons, cannot spend a lot of time on conservation, but like to please the family with various goodies. I consider this recipe as universal, as it is suitable for both grains and cobs.
- Young corn - 15 cobs.
- Salt - 1 tablespoon.
- Sugar - 3 tablespoons.
- Vinegar - 2 tablespoons.
The proportions of salt, sugar and vinegar are given per liter of water.
- Clean and rinse with water the young corn cobs. Put the prepared corn into the pan, cover with hot water and boil for 3 minutes after boiling.After the time, fold to a colander and cool in ice water.
- Dry the cobs with paper napkins and separate the grains. Fill with corn jars, pour boiling water and leave for a third of an hour under the lids. After the time has elapsed, drain the water, boil again and refill the grain.
- Make a marinade. Pour water into a saucepan, add a tablespoon of salt, two tablespoons of vinegar and three tablespoons of sugar per liter of liquid. Bring the liquid to a boil, drain the water from the cans and pour the marinade. Roll up the jars and hold under the blanket until cool.
This recipe once again proves that homemade canned corn is a quick, easy to prepare and tasty dish that provides ample opportunities in cooking.
The benefits and harms of canned corn
The topic of today's conversation is canned corn. Many people like this easy to prepare delicacy, but its beneficial properties and contraindications remain a mystery. We will talk about this in the final part of the material.
- Bright yellow grains of corn - a storehouse of nutrients.Among them are folic acid, thiamine, tocopherol. Canned corn is saturated with phosphorus, calcium and sodium. It contains potassium, zinc, silicon and iodine, but in smaller quantities.
- Canned corn is the basis of a professional athlete's diet. That's because there are a lot of vegetable proteins and amino acids in it, which provide an indispensable help in maintaining shape.
- Canned corn has been used in the diet of people with diabetes. This product regulates the level of sugar and reduces cholesterol, the excess of which adversely affects the functioning of the heart and the vascular system.
- Scientists have noticed that canned corn has a beneficial effect on the digestive system. Even in small amounts, the product helps in eliminating the symptoms of flatulence.
- Cereal in canned form helps in the fight against obesity due to the small amount of calories. However, a positive result is achieved only under the condition of a balanced diet.
If we talk about the dangers, canned cereal is contraindicated to people and persons with high blood clotting that are susceptible to thrombosis.The product reduces the appetite, and if the cereal is abused, it will result in an aggravation of the stomach ulcer.
To preserve corn at home is elementary, and the benefits and harm of a dish are determined by the individual characteristics of the body. If there are no contraindications for use, boldly harvest the maize for the winter and eat regularly.