How to make a boat yourself?
Watch the video
Everyone who is at least somehow familiar with carpentry can have a real boat for fishing and water recreation. To paraphrase a classic, the boat is “not a luxury, but a means of transportation.” Let's try to make a boat with your own hands from wood and plywood.
How to make a boat
This wooden boat is popularly called Volzhanka. Its dimensions: up to five meters in length, width - over a meter, depth - half a meter. It is constructed from a wooden frame, sheathed on top of birch plywood. It is worth noting that multilayer plywood is widely used in the construction of small vessels. She has:
- good mechanical strength
- comparative homogeneity
- fairly low price.
- First, choose the plywood (which will be with us as a plating). It must be sheet, in order to reduce the number of body seams. We need to take birch plywood (three-layer) with resin impregnation - make sure that without knots. Its thickness is up to five millimeters. Three sheets and a half and a half meters are enough.
- Three boards of pine, 6.5 meters long and about 15 mm thick. Two planks about 25 mm thick and 6.5 meters long, for keel and false hooks, one plank 25 mm thick and 2 meters long for a stern oar, a plank about 40 mm thick and 6.5 meters long for frames, two boards 55 mm thick and 2 meters long for stems and oars.
- 9-10 m of light fabric to cover the body, about a kilogram of lime (slaked), wood resin - 6-7 kg, natural drying oil - 4-5 kg, oil paint - 2-3 kg, nails, bolts, fixings, oarlocks
Instructions for making
- For the construction of the boat first of all you need a slipway from a long board, which is fixed on the posts.
- Start with cutting out the frames. We draw them on a sheet of plywood (nine parallel lines and one - perpendicular to them - vertical). We make templates from cardboard, then we transfer them to the board (thickness - 40 mm), along the fibers. Cut out the details.
- The stem is made of curved wood. Kiel cut out ofstraight-layer boards. We cut and trim the side boards so that they are the same in width and thickness.
- We proceed to the collection frame. Put the keel on the workbench. We attach on the one hand the stern-stems, on the other - the stem (with the help of nails). We customize the design, making sure that there is no distortion.We attach the side boards. We lay the connections of the parts with a cloth that is impregnated in resin.
- Gathering the frame, turn it with the keel up. We sheathe the boat with plywood sheets, smoothly bending them. To better bent and cracked, plywood can be treated with steam. The excess parts of plywood cut off. Before fixing we coat the plywood with resin. Then, after we install the trim, fasten the plywood on the frames and on top of it - the sides.
- Now it remains to make a decorative decoration and painting of the vessel, cut oars, insert oarlocks.
As you can see, with all the abundance of parts, there is nothing difficult in making the boat yourself. It is only necessary to follow the instructions and work on a pre-prepared drawing.